Wednesday 14 November 2012

GIG: ALABAMA SHAKES


Review by John Cooper

Alabama Shakes live at the Manchester Academy 1 - 12.11.2012

After this gig selling out quickly, I didnt think I would have chance to see Alabama Shakes this time around, however one man's misfortune of feeling rotten on the day was to my delight as I was offered his ticket. (Sorry Jon - but I'm so glad you were ill!). As a band, I would say Alabama Shakes were a decent soul/blues band who delivered a good lively set, however when you throw in a front woman like Brittany Howard, all of a sudden they are transformed into something else - a fantastic band with a really soulful voice.... and wow what a voice! I wouldnt even be afraid to compare her to the great Janice Joplin. The Academy was absolutely packed & the band came on at 9pm and were done by 10.20pm, but I loved absolutely every minute of it, and from the looks of the people around me - so did the rest of the Manchester crowd. I'm sure next time they come back they will be playing the Apollo or even bigger!

For anyone who doesnt know what they sound like, you should definately check out the below video:


No comments:

Post a Comment